On November 2, 2010, California voters were offered Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, two highly qualified women who know what must be done to rescue their state from fiscal failure. Instead, they chose Jerry Brown, a 1960's-era flower-child re-tread, and Barbara Boxer, an aging leftist ideologue. These two stalwarts and a host of other elected and re-elected Democrats were right there as California dug itself into a hole, and they bear a good measure of the blame for California's budget crisis.
- Amend the state constitution to declare healthcare, education, food, and housing to be an unalienable human right to be provided by the state. Banish the term "illegal immigrant", grant these human rights to all, and extend sanctuary-city policies to cover the entire state.
- Raise taxes by 50% on all forms of fossil fuel consumption, inspect all public and private dwellings for energy efficiency, and fine those that do not comply with state regulations (but provide taxpayer-funded improvement subsidies for low-income households).
- Raise incomes taxes by 50% on all corporations and high-income individuals
- Outlaw all private ownership of firearms and create a new state agency for confiscation thereof
- Legislate explicit racial preferences and quotas in all hiring & contracting (both public and private), and create a new state agency for enforcement thereof
- Provide 100% state-funded, no-questions-asked abortions to anyone who wants one at any time during any pregnancy
- Outlaw all religious expressions or displays by any public official, in any public document, or on any state property, and create a new state agency for monitoring and enforcement of same
- Outlaw and fine all politically incorrect expressions or displays, and create a new state agency for regulation and enforcement thereof, exempting only "artistic expression" such as that practiced by those in the movie or music industries
- Increase the current California minimum wage from $8.00 to $12.00 per hour
- Discourage wealthy taxpayers from fleeing California by enacting a 50% exit tax on any profit from the sale of any real estate or business by any taxpayer who changes his/her residence to any place outside California
This is only a starter list … I'm sure California's progressives could come up with a lot more. If you have some suggestions of your own for Californians, please use the "Comments" section attached to this blog (just keep it clean!). I'll collect them and publish them in a new blog at a later date.
Just think: one day soon, California's proud progressives may show the rest of us benighted souls what a true Progressive Paradise looks like. The only requirement we non-Californians should insist on is this: No bailouts from the other states … not now, not ever … not one dime.