What is really behind Obama’s gun control efforts?
Rifles are used in only three percent of homicides. Of those, only a tiny, tiny fraction involve what the media and gun-control advocates refer to as “assault rifles.”
So why do the media, Obama, Andrew Cuomo, and gun-controllers everywhere obsess over this class of weapons? Why do they willingly continue to repeat the now-disproven claim that Adam Lanza used a rifle at Sandy Hook, when his rifle was actually found in his trunk?
It seems that either they are ignorant of statistical realities or something else is at work here.
But another question also must be asked at this juncture: Why are they ignoring the biggest sources of both perpetrators and victims of gun crimes and gun deaths:
4. The ratio of gun suicides to gun homicides for white Americans is 3.1 to 1 and is the highest across all races, with whites aged 15 to 34 being most at risk.
5. Americans aged 15 to 24 are the most at risk for gun homicide, but the ratio of gun homicides to accidental deaths for this group was just 1 to 3 (all races).
6. The majority of American gun homicides (54 percent) take the lives of black Americans, who constitute just 14 percent of the total population.
7. Homicide is the leading cause of death only for black Americans aged 15 to 34, with 87.4 percent of all homicides for this group caused by guns.
8. The ratio of gun homicides to gun suicides for black Americans is over 6.1 to 1, but for non-black Americans it is just 1 to 3 (a difference of nearly 20 times).
9. The ratio of gun homicides to deaths from flu/pneumonia for black Americans is 1.1 to 1, for non-black Americans, it is just 0.1 to 1 (a difference of 10 times).
10. The ratio of gun homicides to accidental death not due to firearms for black Americans is .50 to 1. For non-black Americans, it is just .05 to 1 (a difference of 10 times).
Gun deaths have been falling for decade, quite dramatically, as this chart shows:
If Obama and gun controllers everywhere would look at the facts, look at the headway that has been made, and look at where the biggest problems still lie,we might actually be able to reduce gun deaths even further. Instead, we are stuck with people working counterproductive angles for agendas suspected by the rest of us, but known for sure only to themselves.
Ardently devoted to the cause of human freedom, he has worked at the confluence of politics, activism, and public policy for more than a decade. He co-wrote a ten-part series of video shorts on economics, and has film credits as a researcher on 11 political documentaries, including Citizens United's notorious film on Hillary Clinton that became the subject of a landmark Supreme Court decision. He is the founder of several activist endeavors, including AnyStreet.org (now a part of Western Free Press) and Liberatchik.com. He is currently the managing editor of and principal contributor to WesternFreePress.com.
Latest posts by Christopher Cook (see all)
- Politico Poll on Republican Tax Plan Is Proof That Democracy, on Its Own, Does Not Work - November 15, 2017
- Why Won’t The Turks Admit What They Did in the Armenian Genocide? - May 27, 2017
- BREAKING: Time Warner Cable Goes Down at the EXACT Moment When Trump Put His Hand on the Bible - January 20, 2017