The Communist Agenda: A Half-Century of Grinding America Down
On January 13, in cooperation with the Goldwater Institute, the Arizona Mainstream Project (AMP) showed the documentary Agenda: Grinding America Down. Also featured at the AMP gathering were David Noebel and Brad Zinn, well-known researchers and lecturers on communism’s history and mission in America.
Most Americans still scoff at the notion that communism has any significant presence in America, let alone a future. The words “communist” and “socialist” are still regarded by most Americans as hackneyed, hateful epithets hurled by right-wing reactionary kooks. However, the Agenda documentary shows that in fact the American communist movement has been active, underground and disguised in various forms, for decades.
So what have America’s socialists and communists been doing for the past half-century? What has been their “agenda”?
In 1958, the anti-communist Cleon Skousen authored a book entitled The Naked Communist in which he famously listed a 45-point agenda for communists in America. While some of Skousen’s claims from that era were outlandish (such as declaring President Eisenhower to be a communist agent), it is remarkable how many of Skousen’s 45 agenda points (see below) actually do seem to have been pursued and realized by the Left in America.
For example, Point 15, “Capture one or both of the political parties in the US”, has been largely accomplished over the past 50 years. After all, how much does the Democrat Party of John F. Kennedy resemble the Democrat Party of Barack Obama? JFK was decidedly pro-business, favored lower taxes, and campaigned on a strong national defense. Those are the direct opposites of Obama’s principles. If JFK were to run today on his 1960 platform, he’d have to be a Republican. His platform would not be tolerated in today’s Democrat Party.
More than half of Skousen’s points, listed in bold below and worded exactly as he worded them in 1958, seem remarkably prescient today. He spotted what was happening in America long before others did, or have done since that time.
The video immediately below is an 8-minute trailer for the full Agenda: Grinding America Down documentary. This is only a trailer. All Americans would do well to see the full movie.
The 14-minute video below contains portions of the January 13 AMP seminar in which Dr. Noebel and Brad Zinn address some of the issues raised in the full documentary.
So what can we as citizens do about all this?
On this question, Noebel and Zinn agree: watch the full Agenda documentary, show it to at least 30 other people, and ask each of them to do the same. This movie has had little publicity so far, but Dr. Noebel estimates that it has nonetheless been seen by 10 million Americans, spread mostly hand-to-hand, grassroots style. His wish is for 10 million more to see it before the next election.
For reference, I include below the 45 points listed by Cleon Skousen, as read into the US Congressional Record on January 10, 1963 by Rep. Albert S. Herlong, Jr. of Florida. Please read through them. Remarkable, no? The “Occupy” forces that now rule the Democrat Party must be so proud. At the bottom of this list, I suggest two more points that Skousen would have included if he’d foreseen them.
Cleon Skousen’s 1958 45-point agenda for the communist subversion of America from within [emphasis added].
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces.
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums.
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat.
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity, masturbation and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use “united force” to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.
As prescient as Skousen was, he could not have foreseen two whoppers that I’ll add here in the Skousen style:
46. Under the guise of providing free health care for the poor, seize control of the entire national health care apparatus including the health insurance industry. Under the guise of ‘fairness’, institute price controls and rationing, and control the behavior of all citizens through regulation of their access to health care.
47. Under the guise of protecting the planet and the environment from pollution and “climate change”, establish massive new federal bureaucracies to regulate all industrial and personal activities. Use these regulations to reward political friends and punish political enemies.
Does anything stand in the way of the leftist/progressive/statist/socialist/communist agenda? Yes — the Tea Party Movement. The Left didn’t see it coming. As Trevor Loudon puts it, “[the Tea Party] knocked them on their backsides in 2010”.
We’d all better work toward an even larger political victory in 2012.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings;
the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
Latest posts by David Leeper (see all)
- Watch this 90-second video before you buy your first gun! - December 7, 2017
- Why Would an Arab Muslim Join the Israeli Military? Here’s Why. - November 27, 2017
- Pilgrims, Socialism, Free Markets, Bernie Sanders, Milton Friedman: a Thanksgiving Story - November 21, 2017